Monday, January 10, 2011

setting up your craft space: part II

Tune into your thoughts, find your rhythm, and find what works for you to keep your space organized. Make it easy and totally accessible for when you need to find that fuel!

When I sit down to create I like to work on multiple projects throughout the session... I feel most productive this way and don’t waste time fussing over what my finish product will be (as soon I start to fuss, I know its time to put it aside and move to the next project). We all create differently so it is important to find your rhythm and be in tune to your creating style. You can do this easily by paying attention to your emotions and self talk as you are arting. For me when I start to think negatively or stress about my project I know its time to move on. In the past I used to stop at this point, but I have learned I have a lot more energy to channel and by moving onto another project I don’t allow negative energy to eat away at my work or well being.

Essential to your craft space is organization, which I am huge fan of! As I mentioned I have multiple ongoing projects and for each one I have a binder. This way whenever I have something that inspires me or a completed project I can file it accordingly. My binders are catalogues of works in progress which I continuously add to (my big dream: they will be published one fine and dandy day).

Maybe your not a binder gal, and prefer boxes filled to the rim with scrapes and odd ends, or maybe you have different sketchbooks for all your amazing ideas. Either way organize your creativity. One thing I can recommend, keep a little journal with you at all times, I have a small one (from the dollar store with no lines) and I record all my random creative thoughts, simple sketches, lists of things to get, or lyrics from songs that make me tune into certain emotions, or little tidbits from my day like a quote from yogitea. Sometimes I journal in it too, but mostly its what my high school teacher (Tim) would describe as a proper sketchbook, “it is as if your brain threw up on the page.”

Finally, my latest addition to my craft lab, a little inspiration above my planning zone "Never Never Never Give up!"

QUESTION for you: How do you organize your projects? What do you do to channel your creative energy?

No comments:

Post a Comment